Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 15:05:40 -0700
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>, Ted Stein <ted@taki.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let's Get FreeBSD Some Recognition

At 09:17 AM 5/12/98 +0200, Konrad Heuer wrote:
>On Mon, 11 May 1998, Ted Stein wrote:
>
>> saw something like "We are both anti-Microsoft". I'd personally have to
>> disagree there. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am certainly not
>> against Microsoft. Above all, it does not further our efforts, as FreeBSD
>> fans/advocates, to insult another OS, the most popular, nonetheless. Do us
>> all a favor, focus on FreeBSD. We want to push FreeBSD because we LOVE
>> FreeBSD, not because we HATE Microsoft. Leave them out of it.
>
>I agree.

Me too.

Let me also make the almost heretical claim that it would be in FreeBSD's
interests, I believe, to start supporting some of Microsoft's API's.
ActiveDirectory; NTFS; SMB.  No, not NetBEUI :)  Strategically speaking, if
I had as my mission "get FreeBSD used in server systems in corporate
America", I'd be doing everything I could to make it as easy as possible
for someone running NT to switch to FreeBSD with little or no loss in
functionality or interoperability.  Once they've made the switch you can
start talking them into using better API's and protocols :)

Note that this is *not* the same as simply doing Win32 emulation; I think
it'll be a long time before Win32 emulation is fully working (it may never
be, simply due to MS changing standards) and can perform at the same speed
as NT itself on similar hardware.  Instead, find out what it takes to
support NTFS as a native file system; to integrate Samba into the kernel;
to build ActiveDirectory on top of an LDAP server.  "But that's not the job
of an OS vendor" you might say, "those are all applications!"
Unfortunately MS has blurred the line between the two completely, so any
approach has to be holistic.

The really nice part about this strategy is that by and large the
conversion won't require *any* new hardware, which is usually the most
significant investment in any corporate MIS situation, save for the human
expense.

"Embrace and extend".

	Brian