Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:09:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        rshea@opendoor.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too difficult for you ? (was : Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.4)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 rshea@opendoor.co.nz wrote:

> Hi - Well I got zero replies from this one yesterday. I guess it was either too
> easy or too difficult - I wonder which ? I can't find anything in the Handbook
> or in 'Complete FreeBSD' which discusses this situation - am I missing
> something obvious ? Seems like a situation a lot of people must have been
> through ...
>
> Once again then ...
>
> > Hi - I've got a 3.4 machine I want to upgrade to 4.4. I've got the 4
> > CD's ready to go and I suspect that if I just stuffed the install CD
> > in I would get told what to do but this machine is rather important to
> > me so ... can anyone explain what's going to happen if I try to
> > upgrade 3.4 to 4.4.
> >
> > In particular :
> >
> > 1. what's going to happen to the existing installations of :
> >
> > Apache/PHP
> > MySQL
> > Samba
> > NATD
> > IPFW
> > Perl
> >
> > I'm hoping that they will be effectively untouched (with the possible
> > exception of IPFW - see question 2) is that correct ?
> >
> > 2. I recompiled the Kernel to support running IPFW after the initial
> > installation was done. Am I going to have to redo that or is there
> > some option I can take during the install to achieve the same effect ?
> >
> > 3. What's going to happen to users/groups etc ?
> >
> > 4. Are config files such as inetd.conf going to get overwritten ?

Difficult enough that you might be better off reinstalling.

The upgrade process "across versions" is complex, and you might not
be able to do it in one leap.  See /usr/src/UPDATING.

Your installed third-party software won't be touched, but some of it
may need upgrading to run.

Your /etc directory will not be touched by an upgrade from source,
but you'll need to merge /usr/src/etc with mergemaster, which can
be tricky when you haven't done it before.  IPFW has changed.

In any case you will need a kernel rebuild.  Usually this is done
after a buildworld, and the new kernel is installed and booted to
make sure it runs (at this point you can still boot the old kernel
and you've still got the old system).

A great deal has been written about this, mostly on the -stable
mailing list, some on -questions.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC