Date:      Thu, 01 May 2003 14:28:19 +1000
From:      Mark.Andrews@isc.org
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 Resolver (or: Slow rendering of Webpages using Konqueror)

> On 30 Apr, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
>
> > I have issues which somewhat match those symptoms.  On FreeBSD 4.8,
> > Mozilla will occasionally get "stuck" for a couple minutes (the first time
> > I hit dilbert.com in a day seems to be a fairly reliable culprit).  After
> > that, it seems to run fine for an hour or so, at which point it will get
> > stuck on some random site again.  Wait a couple minutes, then it will be
> > fine again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> I had this problem as well a while back until I neutered Mozilla so that
> it wouldn't do the IPv6 address lookups anymore.  It persisted in doing
> this useless to me stuff even if I disabled all the IPv6 support in
> rc.conf.  What's the use in looking up IPv6 addresses if you can't
> connect to them anyway because you don't have any IPv6 connectivity?

	Well you need to do it so you can give back correct error codes.

	You really don't want 'telnet -4 foo' and 'telnet -6 foo' to
	get different machines which is what can happen if you don't
	lookup both address types as the resolvers search algorithm
	doesn't stop on NODATA.  The later is a historical artifact
	to handle wildcards in pre RFC 1535 aware resolvers.

> An alternative would be to rebuild the kernel without INET6, but that
> seemed like a bad idea since I sometimes commit changes to the kernel
> source, and I'd hate to unknowingly introduce a bug into part of the
> tree that I don't even compile.  It would also mean that I couldn't do
> any IPv6 testing on my local network.
>
> > Creating a local caching nameserver seems to help, but doesn't remove the
> > problem.
> >
> > Since I haven't been able to reliably localize the symptoms to either
> > Mozilla or FreeBSD, I haven't filed a bug report.  My guess is that it's
> > actually an interaction between both.
>
> I complained about this on one of the FreeBSD lists a while back.  We
> really need some sort of user controlled knob for this.  As it is,
> FreeBSD may look bad to casual users ("snivel, snivel, whine, whine, my
> browser keeps freezing, FreeBSD sucks, Windoze works better, whine,
> whine").  Unfortunately, nobody came up with any positive suggestions.

	The fix is to get rid of the broken nameservers.  There really
	are very few of them.  Most of the nameservers in the world do
	the correct thing.

	Complain to the sites using these broken servers.  It does work
	to get them fixed.  BBC fixed up their act.  If you don't complain
	they will never be fixed and we will have to put up with this for
	the next 10 years.

> > While this information doesn't necessarily help the original poster, it
> > hopefully points out that people not associated with doubleclick may also
> > be having issues.

	The dilbert.com page causes a ad.doubleclick.net lookup.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org