Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:55:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        asenchi@asenchi.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dos emulators

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Jörg Sonnenberger wrote:
> Subject: Re: dos emulators
>
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:34:40 -0500
> "Asenchi" <asenchi@asenchi.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering if any one new of a good DOS Emulator that will run
> > Foxpro 2.6.  Thanks.
> >
> > Running:
> > 4.7-release
> >
> > Curt Micol
>
> You can try at least bochs (slow) or dosemu (not sure, how it works
> under FreeBSD, never tried). Bochs is a PC emulator and really
> slow (emulates 80x86...) and is in ports, dosemu not.
>
> - Joerg

Several years ago, while on co-op, I had to port a bunch of aging foxpro
data to a more modern rig. I had zero luck getting the DOS version of
FoxPro to run reliably in dosemu or Wine (in Linux) at the time, so I
viewed the format of the FoxPro data files (they were flat text files) and
wrote some Perl to move it all into text and SQL statements to load it
into a more modern database.

In short, it may take you less time to reformat the data manually than it
will to fsck around with FoxPro and get it to run reliably. So if you're
porting data to a newer rig, think about it, if you just plain want to run
FoxPro, don't ;)

Good luck!

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg