Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2011 02:20:23 -0500
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        ian ivy <sidetripping@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting X11 with kernel secure level greater than -1/0.

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

If it is your objective to run an X server on your display then it would pr=
obably suit you best to use MAC rather than securelevel. Opening /dev/(mem,=
kmem,io) is a security vulnerability in itself which nearly scrathes any us=
efulness of securelevel. In short form, what you think you are doing and wh=
at you are actually doing are two very different things.

See:
mac_seeotheruids
mac_bsdextended [ugidfw(8)]
mac_partition

And there are some sysctl values you can tune to not display as much inform=
ation as well. Also don't forget to compile a kernel without BPF. ;)