Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 22:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Duane R. Ellison" <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Faubion <jfaubion@cs-smtp.tyndall.af.mil>, Scott Gregory <gregory@gargamel.ptw.com>
Subject:   help with pppd

<first> I applogize about also sending this to hackers but I though maybe
	someone there might have a solution for this problem

Okay, maybe I haven't express this question correctly so I will try again.

I have pppd running on my test system but once the connection is dropped
the pppd task does not go away.  The port becomes available again and I
can start another pppd session with the same arguments but the previous
version(s) do not go away unless I kill them (an output example from ps
is included in this message)

I keep going through the man page on pppd but I have not come up with the
answer to my question.  Now it might be there right in front of my face
but I just can't see it.  I have even tried using the lcp-echo-interval
and lcp-echo-failure but that too doesn't seem to do anything for me.
Here is what ps shows the status of the task(s)

$ ps ax | grep d1 | grep -v grep

 1619 ??  I      0:00.05 /usr/libexec/getty std.19200 ttyd1
 1573 d1- R      3:17.37 /usr/sbin/pppd 10.0.0.3:10.0.0.50
 1591 d1- R      1:31.61 /usr/sbin/pppd 10.0.0.3:10.0.0.50
 1616 d1- R      0:55.22 /usr/sbin/pppd 10.0.0.3:10.0.0.50

I assume there has got to be something that I am missing but I have been
unable to figure it out.  I know this has to work because people are using
FreeBSD for ppp logins and it has to be working for them.  Besides I would
assume after a while it would cause problems with the system

I have even tried to create the /etc/ppp/ip-up and ip-down files but they
are never executed (unless if pppd dies before a connection is ever
established and then it fails on the execution but at least I know it is
trying).

I would really appreciate any ideas/help/pointers/whatever for a solution
to this problem.  I am trying to get a system ready to work as an ISP
this is really causing a problem.  Unfortunately the only local system
that I can ask face to face question is on Linux and the guy isn't real
reseptive to FreeBSD.

Included are my configuraiton files

#/etc/ppp/options
modem
crtscts
proxyarp
netmask 255.255.255.0
domain viper.com

#/etc/ppp/ppplogin
echo Starting pppd program

/usr/sbin/pppd 10.0.0.3:10.0.0.50

I am starting this by loging in as any using and then running
/etc/ppp/ppplogin.

	--- Duane
       Duane Ellison                         duane@gargamel.ptw.com
                                         http://gargamel.ptw.com/~duane