Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2012 10:22:50 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: web FreeBSD Ports Search is out of sync

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 08:50:18 +0200
Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll bet it has to do with the INDEX file which is not currently
> >> being regenerated. I might be wrong though.
> >
> > "make -C /usr/ports make index" should take care of it, though I'm
> > not positive. Building the INDEX can take between 5 and ??? minutes,
> > depending on the speed of your system.
>
> It takes about half an hour on my dog slow intel atom D510. Is there
> anything in the works to speed up 'make index'? I understand that the
> slowest part is the evaluation of dependencies, is that right?

You might want to try ports-mgmt/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex
cache-init(1) will take that half an hour, but after that updating the
INDEX will take a minute or so (depending on what has changed in the PT
since your last update). Also you'll have an INDEX that reflects your
local settings (make.conf, OPTIONS).

 # m /root/bin/ports_upd.sh
#!/bin/sh

DATE=`date "+%Y-%m-%d_%H_%M_%S"`
LOG_DIR=/var/log/ports
PSNAP_LOG=${LOG_DIR}/psnap.${DATE}

/usr/sbin/portsnap fetch
/usr/sbin/portsnap update | tee ${PSNAP_LOG}
/usr/local/bin/cache-update -f plain,options -i ${PSNAP_LOG}  | tee ${PSNAP_LOG}.cu
grep -qv 'Nothing to do'  ${PSNAP_LOG}.cu && \
  /usr/local/bin/portindex -v -o ${PORTSDIR}/INDEX-9

portmaster -L --no-index-fetch --index | egrep -B1 '(ew|ort) version|Aborting|installed|dependencies|IGNORE|marked|Reason:|MOVED' | grep -v '^--'

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu@FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID F0808380