Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2020 21:43:03 +0100
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@freebsd.org>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please review: suggested final merge commit on the legacy repo

Thanks Gleb,

I think the "centering" on the first line needs to go, it might confuse
people's git log output.

Furthermore, we're advocating for "freebsd" as the origin name, not
"FreeBSD". Even more, we don't want folks to rename their remote, as
we'll be re-using the GH remote, so they need to explictly add a legacy
one, no?

I did a test run of merge-based and rebase-based histories earlier today
and jotted down my notes in
https://github.com/freebsd/git_conv/wiki/Rebase---Merge-experiments ,
though there's nothing in there you don't already know.

We should probably also make it clear that going forward, one should try
to branch from a fresh main, and not schlepp around every commit twice
:(

I'll update the wiki page with the recommendation in a bit. I also
wonder if we really should make this a merge commit, or a regular
commit. From my notes above, it's actually rather easy to merge in
legacy-master, then main-as-of-3cc0c0d66a06 and then main. The first
step needs to be done anyway, the 2nd is guaranteed to be conflict free
and the third step is just another regular merge-from-head. And people
that merge in stable/X need to do this anyway.

Also missing is a way for them to reach out for more help, the link to
the wiki might give some folks ideas, but I think we can be more
explicit here.

I've inlined the short set of commands required that should work for
main and stable (and have tested some of them, though I'm less sure
about the various upstream magic that happens with git rebase, as one
can elect to not provide half the refs)

Please see the latest commit on https://github.com/uqs/freebsd

Thanks
Uli