Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 1995 11:25:28 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version numbers of the different branches?

>> IMHO, "2.1d0803" where 0803 represents the CTM update level
>> or "2.1d950706" where that represents the date of the source file sup
>> would be more useful.
>
>The CTM sequence number will not be put into it.  CTM has nothing to
>do with our kernel.

I was not advocating that CTM be the trigger mechanism. I was just using it
as an example of the type of information that would be keyed to the file
updates.

>If anything we should have a cronjob update the version-string automatically
>every day.

The idea of a cron-job update is fine except that it should not update
unless something else has changed.

Remember that this same scheme will also need to work for the -stable tree.
Obviously, that date will end up changing only occasionally.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net