Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:39:12 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD software to create "super computer" ?

On Saturday 30 November 2002 12:22 pm, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I'm really growing tired of reading articles talking abot so and
> > so creating a super computer of 1400 CPUs running Linux ...
> > latest one I read was one that HP setup ...
> >
> > ... is there software available for FreeBSD that can do this, or
> > is this something we are being left behind in?

> Some, eg:
> net/mpich: Message Passing Interface (MPI) Library
> devel/distcc: Distribute compilation of C(++) code acrosss machines
> on a network
>
> Depends on what you want to do.
> You could also port beowulf :-)

I thought at some point that beowulf was a port or would run on=20
FreeBSD but couldn't find it right now. Another one is=20
/usr/ports/net/pvm for Parallel Virtual Machine.

It depends on how they did it. If you have 1400 cpus running 1400=20
copies of the OS, you haven't done much. What Cray (don't know what=20
their name is now) did was have 1 cpu run the OS and tell the other=20
1399 what to do. Cray in their large cpu machines used Alphas as=20
their cpus because they would run a program and duplicate output from=20
one of the mainframe Crays with 16-32 cpus. You sort of had one slug=20
and 1399 dragsters that only had computation on their minds.=20

A compiler that generates code for a pvm environment is something=20
else. Stacking up cpus is only a few % points in the process of=20
generating something useful. What I always wanted was something that=20
had 4 or 5 separate computers and would run something in 1/4 or 1/5=20
the time. What you usually see is something that will run 4 or 5 jobs=20
as truly parallel processes but all of them ran equally slowly. Sort=20
of like running seti on an SMP.

A couple of years ago someone in one of the university computing=20
centers built a parallel system using FreeBSD. They had a web page=20
with images of their computer lab. I couldn't find the URL to it=20
right now.=20

A monte carlo program that I used in the past before I retired comes=20
with mods to run under pvm. You could start a job running and get=20
results on the same day instead of waiting 2 or 3 days for it to=20
finish.

Kent

--=20
Kent Stewart