Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 00:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Anshuman Kanwar <akanwar@engineering.ucsb.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.6 network install, MAKEDEV error

Hi all,
I am trying to install 4.6-RELEASE using the pxe boot method described in
the handbook.

At the very end of the install I get the message "MAKEDEV returned
non-zero status" and fails. I have tried both nfs and ftp methods for
installation and both produce the same error.

I am using the mfsroot that shipped on the June 2002 4.6-RELEASE cds and
the kernel is a custom compiled 4.6 kernel.

I replaces the 4.6-RELEASE tree with 4.4-RELEASE tree and the install
works without a hitch.

What ha schanged with 4.6? I could not find anything in the
install/release notes.

Thanks for your time,
-ansh

---