Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:10:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 03:00 PM 3/2/99 -0700, Brett Taylor wrote:
>
> >There's a reason we now have 3.1-STABLE.  The 2.2.* branch is dead and
> >eventually (probably fairly quickly) ports will stop compiling correctly
> >for the 2.2 branch even if they have the ports updates correctly
> >installed.

> Sorry, but recent releases that are used in existing mission critical
> systems are NOT "dead limbs" to be sawn off within only a couple of
> months of release. I can see the Linuxoids ranting now: "See? The
> FreeBSD team doesn't even provide ports for a release that's less than
> 6 months old! So much for their 'great ports collection.' That's the
> kind of support you'll get if you use FreeBSD."

Bzzzt.  The 2.2.8 ports collection will be around for a long while yet
since it was the end of the 2.2.* branch. If you want to keep your ports
collection stuck at 2.2.8 you're fine.  BUT if you, for example, want to
update some port because a new security exploit has been found or the new
version has some features you just can't live without and you're running
2.2.8 still you _may_ not be able to upgrade easily because the ports
track STABLE.  That's it.  Trying to maintain ELF and a.out versions of
ports is non-trivial.  Ask Satoshi or Steve Price or any number of
maintainers what a pain it was to try to make both work.  If you want to
try to maintain a set of 2100 ports for 2.2.8 that is continuously updated
with appropriate bsd.port.*.Mk files to track what's happening in STABLE
then I'm sure some would appreciate it, but the ports team will not be the
ones doing it.

> Sad to say, they'll have a point. Conservative users who lag behind a
> version or two to ensure stability are the LAST people the FreeBSD
> team should want to disenfranchise.

Nobody said the ports tree from 2.2.8 was going away anytime soon.
Remember how you went off about the qpopper exploit?  Say that happens
now.  Say that qpopper is/was one of the ports that was difficult to make
both ELF and a.out versions build.  Ports track STABLE;  STABLE is ELF;
new version that fixes exploit might not compile cleanly for a.out so
those running a.out systems (read 2.2.8) are now on their own.

We already have enough people who grab copies of updated ports and don't
even know to grab the port_upgrade packages.  Trying to maintain both
a.out and ELF will only magnify the current problems.

> The ports had BETTER keep working for AT LEAST a year after release.
> To do anything less is to hurt users and damage FreeBSD's reputation
> beyond repair.

By your reasoning we should also be still trying to support the 2.2.6
ports tree (2.2.6 came out in Mar 98).  It's long since gone and I haven't
heard you complaining about that.  You could at least be consistent in
your rants.

Brett (definitely not Glass) Taylor
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
			brett@daemonnews.org 		  *