Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 10:07:13 -0400
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        Chan Tur Wei <twchan@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .login_conf can overwrite values from /etc/login.conf

Chan Tur Wei wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this has been brought up before, but .login_conf can apparently
> overwrite values in the system's /etc/login.conf.

<snip>

> Is this really the intended effect?  It feels like a big bug to me...

from man login.conf...

  The current (soft) limit is the one normally used, although the user
  is permitted to increase the current limit to the maximum (hard) limit.
  The maximum and current limits may be specified individually by
  appending a -max or -cur to the capability name.

so unless you have filesize-max defined in /etc/login.conf the user
will be able to increase it in their ~/.login.conf.  Not sure if
there's an *implied* someresource-max if someresource(-cur implied)
is defined.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

        - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.