Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:30:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Calvin Meloon <calvin@marlin.corp.gulf.net>
To:        Kevin Lam <kevla@studentmail.dis.unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & DSL technology

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Kevin Lam wrote:

> At 18:14 10/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Not really sure what the point of this is, a PairGain Megabit modem
> >setup (both sides) will run you around $1500. I haven't seen any PC card
> >type of solutions that are worth a damn, stand alone router,bridges (in
> >this case) are the way to go IMHO....
> >
> >We've got a couple of the Megabit modems in use and once you get the
> >wiring correct (took me a little while to get it right :) ) it's ROCK
> >solid. Plug the buggers in on both sides, find a port on your hub and
> >you're golden, some of the easiest stuff I've ever used...
>
> Does the PairGain unit use standard phone wiring or does it require special
> wiring on the part of the telco?

For ADSL, the telco installs dry copper alarm circuits. No load coils can
be used as their signal interfers with ADSL. On the PairGain, you can use
regular cat-5 cabling.

 / ___/__ _/ /  __(_)__  Gulf Coast Internet           Calvin M. Meloon
/ /__/ _ `/ / |/ / / _ \ Pensacola, FL               Unix Administrator
\___/\_,_/_/|___/_/_//_/ (850)438-5700                   writer of code
~~~~ calvin@gulf.net ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Proponent of FreeBSD