Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2012 07:53:41 -0800
From:      Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The state of packages based on Python ports

On Jan 31, 2012, at 9:18 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 05:37:54PM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> ftp.freebsd.org: /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/All
>=20
> We don't update ports in the *-release directories once the release
> has been cut. =20

Thanks, that makes good sense.=20

> Our recommendation is that you should always keep your
> ports tree up-to-date, and download packages from e.g. =
package-8-stable/.

Combined with Wen's message yesterday about the official version moving =
to 2.7 after 8.2 was cut, that makes sense.

HOWEVER, it doesn't answer the question of packages for 3.x. Is the =
policy "there can be (mostly) only one set of packages for Python =
modules, and that is for the preferred version"? Why not also have =
"py30-foo" and so on?

I have a specific need for a project I am working on (which uses Python =
3.1), and now have to jump through major hoops of adding the whole ports =
tree just to get two minor Python ports; everything else is coming from =
packages.

--Paul Hoffman=