Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>
To:        chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron hard disk

> I've been really disappointed with my Inspiron on a number of levels, and
> this is one of them (reported by a couple of friends as well): eventually
> the machine just feels it needs to have the fans running all the time. I
> consider it part of natural Inspiron degradation at this point.

	Mine don't run "all the time" unless it goes to sleep for power loss,
then when it comes back I have to FUNC-F7 it to fix the screen, and then
the fans run all the time. Other than that, with the hard drive crash, the
machine has been frustrating, the mouse being the last part that I can't
get working stable.

> (other symptoms on my machine being that PgUp/PgDn no longer work,

	Maybe hardware.... Don't get me started on hardware. I had an
IBM 760XL for 3 years that I replaced :

	4 keyboards
	2 motherboards
	1 card cage
	2 batteries

> the
> brightness control no longer works,

	Never tried mine... Looks like it works.

> and the battery won't last more than 5
> minutes,

	Have you power cycled it like 7 times? (Power up completely, drain
fully, 7 times.... Batterys built up a memory).

> if that.

	Thats weird. I live 16-18 hours a day on my 8200, and don't have
issues like that.

> it's made me so grateful for my Thinkpad 600E, which is
> about half the speed but is not crappy. :-))

	I'll never buy another IBM given my prior experience (YMMV)

		Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.