Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:49:22 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Allan Andersen <swoop@tjohoo.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: samba

Allan Andersen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've a FreeBSD box with samba runnig. I try to mount the samba share
> from my Debian Linux desktop, but all the time I get something like:
>
> 6652: session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -
> name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
> SMB connection failed
>
> I don't get it. I've done a smbpasswd <user>.

Read smbpasswd(8), or at least the output of `smbpasswd -h`, both
tell you the proper smbpasswd incantation to add a user.

> Does anyone have an idea what's wrong?

Run mksmbpasswd.sh first to populate /usr/local/private/smbpasswd with
the contents of your system password database, then edit the
aforementioned file to delete all the accounts you don't want in it.
The script is included with the samba tarball that the ports system
downloads, but isn't installed.  You can find it and other useful
scripts in net/samba/work/samba-2.2.5/source/script.  If you don't
have this directory, type "make extract" in net/samba.