Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:58:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Ryan Turner <ryturner@vt.edu>, "Charles A. Peters" <cpeters2@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maximum Hard Disk Size / Maximum Partition Size for FreeBSD 3.2-Release

On Sunday, 12 September 1999 at 20:35:30 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 03:02:41PM -0400, Ryan Turner wrote:
>> At 02:50 PM 9/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>> I have purchased 2 10 Gig EIDE hard disk drives, and I plan to install
>>> FreeBSD 3.2-Release on the drives.  I will also be installing Samba on this
>>> system.  This system will be a Intel Celeron 400 MHz with 64 MB Ram.  I will
>>> also be installing the Apache fp1.3 server extensions, X, and various
>>> networking apps.
>>>
>>> I am wondering how I should best partition this drive (/swap, /var, and /usr
>>> partitions).  This system will also be a dual hommed gateway to allow my
>>> other computers internet access via a cable modem.
>>>
>>> What is the maximum partition size allowed by 3.2 Release.
>>>
>>> My ultimate goal is to make the samba partitions available for networked
>>> applications for a series of visual fox 5.0 applications that I have
>>> developed, and now currently run on Novell and Windows NT servers.
>>
>> I am not sure what the maximum size is, but I have used 13 Gig EIDE
>> partitions with 3.2-release.
>>

> See section 1 of the FAQ, "What are the limits for ffs filesystems?"

Better still, I'll quote it:

  For ffs filesystems, the maximum theoretical limit is 8 terabytes
  (2G blocks), or 16TB for the default block size of 8K. In practice,
  there is a soft limit of 1 terabyte, but with modifications
  filesystems with 4 terabytes are possible (and exist).

  The maximum size of a single ffs file is approximately 1G blocks
  (4TB) if the block size is 4K.

                             maxfilesize
                  ----------------------------------
                  2.2.7    3.0
  fs block size   -stable  -current  works  should-work
  -------------   -------  --------  -----  -----------
  4K              4T-1       4T-1    4T-1   4+T
  8K              32+G       8T-1    32+G   16T-1
  16K             128+G      16T-1   128+G  32T-1
  32K             512+G      32T-1   512+G  64T-1
  64K             2048+G     64T-1   2048+G 128T-1

  When the fs block size is 4K, triple indirect blocks work and
  everything should be limited by the maximum fs block number that can
  be represented using triple indirect blocks (approx. 1K^3 + 1K^2 +
  1K), but everything is limited by a (wrong) limit of 1G-1 on fs
  block numbers. The limit on fs block numbers should be 2G-1. There
  are some bugs for fs block numbers near 2G-1, but such block numbers
  are unreachable when the fs block size is 4K.

  For block sizes of 8K and larger, everything should be limited by
  the 2G-1 limit on fs block numbers, but is actually limited by the
  1G-1 limit on fs block numbers, except under -stable triple indirect
  blocks are unreachable, so the limit is the maxiumum fs block number
  that can be represented using double indirect blocks (approx.
  (blocksize/4)^2 + (blocksize/4)), and under -current exceeding this
  limit may cause problems. Using the correct limit of 2G-1 blocks
  does cause problems.

Greg