Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2011 21:22:02 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86-video-ati 6.14.0 crashes System

On 27/02/2011 23:05, David Demelier wrote:

>>> Same here with
>>
>> Also reported by me for the ATI Radeon RV370 X300 SE and somebody
>> else for a differently branded card with the same chip.
>>
>>> When using the ati/radeon driver, the system crashes too fast to leave
>>> any log (literally, Xorg.0.log was not changed), so I can't provide any
>>> information from there.
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>> As a workaround, install the version 6.13 driver.  A separate port
>> has been created for it.
>>
>> # portupgrade -o x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati613 xf86-video-ati
>>

> That's sad, yet another panic :(. This time that's me who is lucky. I've
> got a radeon 4330 and it's working absolutely fine.

Just to put this thread into context, the new driver improves the
situation for some people, of course you don't see them complaining
here.

My machine has 2 ATI cards, one onboard (HD4200) and one in the PCIE
slot (HD5770). The new driver allows me to switch back to the console
when using the HD5770.

In conjunction with the Xorg upgrade a reproducible panic with certain
combinations of BIOS and xorg.conf configurations disappeared.
These combinations still don't work, but instead of panicking the
system, the Xorg process can be killed and the xorg.conf can be
changed to a working configuration without a reboot or risk of
data loss.

Regards