Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 21:24:34 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "J. Taylor" <333@flashcom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stable versions of FreeBSD

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:24:25 -0500  "J. Taylor" wrote:
 +------------------
 | Gentlemen:
 |
 | I plan to order a computer from ASA.  I only know of two versions that =
 | are Stable.  FreeBSD 2.2, 3.x.  I would like to know the latest stable =
 | version.
 |
 | This will be a home computer for personal use.  Being 64 years old I =
 | would like to know how much math I need.  I have forgotten  most of what =
 | I was taught.=20
 |
 | I would appreciate any suggestions.  I realize that I would have my head =
 | against the wall for a long time. =20
 |
 | Sincerely,
 |
 | John Taylor
 +------------------

Looks like you've done some of your homework.  ASA would love to
sell you a completely configured and ready to use FreeBSD system.
I think that would be the way to go if I was starting this all over
again.  The current RELEASE version is 4.1.  That's probably what
you'd get if you ordered a FreeBSD system from ASA today.  There
is documentation at www.FreeBSD.org that describes the difference
between RELEASE, STABLE and CURRENT.

Oh, by the way.  You might want to set your mail software to send
plain text all the time.  But especially when sending to this group.
There's not  much justification for sending multipart/alternative
when the HTML in the alternative part contains no special markup
plain old text.

Good luck
chris

--