Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:51:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kmem, tty, bind security enhancements commit.

    Now that everyone is backfrom thanksgiving and 2.2.8 is out the
    door, I'd like to commit the following changes to -current.  These
    are as previously discussed and the changes have also been running
    on most of BEST's machines for a couple of weeks now so I'd like
    to commit them.

    I'd like someone to sign off on the concept.  Eivind?  Bruce?  Jordan?

    (1)

	Add a 'kmem' and 'tty' dummy user to master.passwd.

	adjust inetd.conf to run identd and ntalkd using the new dummy
	user's to sandbox the kmem and tty group rights required.

	This also involves removing the getuid() test in talkd.c

    (2)

	Add a 'bind' user and a 'bind' group to master.passwd

	Use bind-8's -u and -g features to run named as bind:bind
	in the default rc.conf:

	    named_flags="-u bind -g bind"

	(Or find a way to figure out whether this uid/gid exists
	and use the options or not use the options based on that,
	which is more compatible with prior installations but adds
	complexity that will quickly become stale.  I suggest simply
	making it the default in the CVS tree).

	Cavet: in a multi-interface situation, with an interface
	that is brought up later, and so forth, named will not
	be able to automatically rebind and must be restarted.

	(Also ensure that named.conf is either group-bind-readable or
	world readable).

	However, I consider this a major, major improvement in
	security.  I think it's worth the hassle and the vast majority
	of installations are not complex enough for it to matter.
	Those that are typically run a custom bind configuration anyway.

			USER and GROUP ID's

    I suggest:

	uid 4 for user 'tty'

	uid 5 for user 'kmem' (group kmem is uid 2, but
	the operator user already uses that user id so
	lets use uid 5, which is the operator group,
	for kmem).

	uid 53 for user bind, uid 53 for group bind

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)