Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 99 19:07:44 MEZ
From:      webbasan@snafu.muc.de (Horst H.G. Weber)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with ISDN and 3c900 nic: "xl0: watchdog timeout" !?

Hi,

I'm currently running FreeBSD 3.1 and I tried to install isdn4bsd,
version 0.83. A while after successfully compiling and booting the
kernel with ISDN support, I discovered that I had a problem.

The system is a 486DX2, running at 66MHz on an ASUS SP3 Board.
The ISA Slots are not in use, I have only PCI boards:

- right Slot: 3COM 3c900 Combo Ethernet-Board,
    set in the BIOS to INT A with IRQ 5
- middle Slot: Fritz!Card PCI ISDN-Board,
    set in the BIOS to INT B with IRQ 11
- left Slot: miroCystal 12SD VGA-board,
    set in the BIOS to INT C with IRQ 15
- Internal SCSI set to INT D with IRQ 9.
- IDE is disabled, no IDE drives in use.

The machine normally has no monitor or keyboard, my standard kernel
is setup to use the serial console. So the VGA-board is only used if
I need to fiddle with the BIOS... ;-)

What happens is, that after booting the kernel with ISDN support,
I get this message:

"xl0: watchdog timeout"

and I can see that the machine has a really bad network performance...

So, could it be that there is some odd interaction between the ISDN
components and the xl drivers in the kernel? (From the user view,
the ISDN part is not in use at this time, only the magic that is done
internally in the kernel could interfere...)

Or could it be a hardware problem? There are some oddities that may
support this idea:

- The order of the PCI-boards in the slots does matter!
    If, for example, the network board is in another slot, the machine
    doesn't even go into the POST...

- Then booting the kernel (my "standard" version or the ISDN version)
    it claims that all my PCI components use INT A, but it gets the
    IRQs right.
    If these messages mean what it seems, this doesn't look right to me.

    Nevertheless, my standard kernel works flawlessly -- at least from
    my point of view... (I'm using FreeBSD since version 2.2.5 and never
    had a reason to look at the kernel messages in detail, so I don't
    know if other versions did get the "INT"-setup right...)

The relevant parts of the kernel messages:

    My "standard" kernel:

[...]
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xf023b000.
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0: <Intel 82424ZX (Saturn) cache DRAM controller> rev 0x02 on pci0.0.0
ncr0: <ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi> rev 0x01 int a irq 9 on pci0.1.0
chip1: <Intel 82378IB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x00 on pci0.2.0
vga0: <S3 Trio graphics accelerator> rev 0x00 int a irq 15 on pci0.3.0
xl0: <3Com 3c900 Etherlink XL 10BaseT Combo> rev 0x00 int a irq 5 on pci0.5.0
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:60:08:75:1d:5a
xl0: selecting BNC port, half duplex
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
[...]

    And the ISDN kernel:

[...]
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xf0278000.
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0: <Intel 82424ZX (Saturn) cache DRAM controller> rev 0x02 on pci0.0.0
ncr0: <ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi> rev 0x01 int a irq 9 on pci0.1.0
chip1: <Intel 82378IB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x00 on pci0.2.0
vga0: <S3 Trio graphics accelerator> rev 0x00 int a irq 15 on pci0.3.0
isic0: <AVM Fritz!Card PCI ISDN adapter> rev 0x02 int a irq 11 on pci0.4.0
isic0: ISAC 2085 Version A1/A2 or 2086/2186 Version 1.1 (IOM-2)
xl0: <3Com 3c900 Etherlink XL 10BaseT Combo> rev 0x00 int a irq 5 on pci0.5.0
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:60:08:75:1d:5a
xl0: selecting BNC port, half duplex
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
[...]

I'm currently preparing to upgrade to version 3.3 -- but since upgrading
is a very time consuming process on this machine I only do it if it
seems very desirable for me.  But I'm suspicious if this will help to
solve my problem...

So -- if anybody could help me: Thanks in advance!

Bye,
        Horst.

P.S.: Whilst writing this e-mail, I just tried if the problem is still
    reproducable (it is), I was reminded of an additional symptom:
    After running the ISDN kernel, it is not enough to reboot with the
    non-ISDN kernel to get a stable system again: I have to completely
    switch it off! It seems that the network board is left in some
    unusable state that is not reset when the machine reboots...

--
Horst H.G. Weber    \       webbasan@snafu.muc.de
Muenchen, Germany    \       weberh@forwiss.tu-muenchen.de