Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:50:38 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LT winmodem in FreeBSD

Thus spake Paul Jansen (vlaero@yahoo.com.au):

> hi,I have a Netcomm (Australia) IN5692 internal 56K
> PCI
> modem.  I am pretty sure this is a rebranded Lucent
> Technologies Winmodem.  I know I'm probably goig to
> get the response 'get a real modem' but at under AU$45

'Get a real modem' :-)

> they are miles cheaper than other modems.
> Is there support for the LT winmodem in FreeBSD yet?
> If not, is there something that prevents these devices
> from working on OS's other than Windows?Thanks.

Basically, you're getting what you paid for. Most modem functions in
winmodems are implemented in software, which is a great idea, but a
stupid idea if you're only going to provide software for one OS. Until
Lucent open up the spec for their winmodem implementation, or at the
very least provide binaries to support it, FreeBSD's hands are basically
tied.

FWIW, Netcomm Roadster II (serial, not USB) modems are pretty good. But
they're not $45 :-)

Nick.