Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:01:50 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to run Broadwell

from Jean-S<E9>bastien P<E9>dron:

> On 21/12/2015 10:46, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Can I safely make buildworld, installworld and kernel from
> > drm-i915-update-38 branch and later switch back to regular /usr/src
> > branch with svn?

> Don't build world from this branch, it's the same as the regular one.
> You just need the kernel.

> > I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require
> > modifications because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?

> Yes. In the Git branch, the diff with Linux 3.8 is quite small so it's
> shouldn't be that difficult.

I see how my finger error on the mouse mangled the subject line (now corrected).

So I suppose I make buildworld, installworld and "regular" kernel, then switch to drm-i915-update-38 and build kernel from there (INSTKERNNAME=kerneli915).

What I did, instead of nextboot, was go to the loader prompt, unload, then load /boot/kerneli915/kernel.  That worked.

Not sure how nextboot would work when there multiple partitions and multiple OSes installed on hard drive.

Tom