Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:18:27 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        "Robert J. Adams" <radams@siscom.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large /dev/md0 ramdisk

Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com> types:
> > From what I've read, md is a better way of going than mfs.
> I have seen several references to md being preferred to mfs but have been
> unable to find any detailed comparison or evaluation. To what reference
> were you referring?

md and mfs have two different behaviors. md uses real memory. mfs uses
buffer space, which is backed by disk. Which is better depends on what
you need it for.

> I've also seen it suggested that mfs is to go away, leaving only md. For
> happy mfs users like myself who enjoy the convenience of a simple flexible
> fstab entry sufficing for memory backed non-persistent filesystems, that
> is of some concern.

md has been replaced/upgraded in -current, and now includes the
functionality of both mfs and vn. If I understand things correctly,
the new md implementation of mfs will perform better than mfs.

There has been talk of a "make and mount" command for md that would
work like mount_md, but it doesn't appear to have materialized
yet. There are also patches floating around for /etc/rc that let you
set a couple of things in /etc/rc.conf to get your md file system set
up at boot.

	<mike