Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:04:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overclocking a Pentium 120

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Reinier Bezuidenhout wrote:
> > Yes, but will your IDE devices still work properly ? Will your ISA cards
> > still function, will your PCI cards work properly? Will the memory
> > timings now be too fast ? etc. etc.
> >
> > In short, is it really worth the risk when you could probably just buy a
> > P233MMX for whatever money you could make in the time it takes to mess
> > with the jumpers and then recover all your data when your hard disk
> > blows up and the processor melts.
> >

> I've been running my 166MMX machine at 75Mhz and CPU at 187MHz for
> the last month now and I did several "make world"s on the machine
> to check it's stability.  It's my machine at work :) so its not
> that easy just to ask for a 233MHz machine, so you try to squeeze
> everything out of it that you can :)  Oh ... and all the
> important data is on a server :)

I'll try it on my home machine, but I think you probably know what I mean
about people not taking much care before overclocking.

My computer here at work is a 150 running at 166, it's been like this for
over a year without any obvious overclocking related problems. [During the
first few weeks I backed up my data more slightly more regularly!]

Although it's not overclocked much, and it's just the processor, not the
bus, isn't it still worth excercising some caution ?

	steve

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/