Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 10:20:37 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@sebster.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keyboard does not work in kernel space

Sebastiaan van Erk wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I just got a new Inspiron 9400 laptop and was trying to do full disk
> encryption with GEOM ELI. Everything seems to be working fine now,
> except that the keyboard does not seem to work in kernel space so that
> when my USB boot stick asks me for the passphrase of my internal hard
> drive, I cannot enter anything. I know this is not specific to GEOM ELI,
> since I was messing around with my USB pendrive and forgot to specify a
> root device, which the kernel prompted me for the root device and I had
> exactly the same problem: the keyboard did not work.

known issue. kbdmux(4) + atkbd(4) does not currently work in "kernel"
space. the reason is because atkbd(4) does not seem to deal with
"polled" mode correctly.

in "kernel" space interrupts are disabled and the keyboard has to be
polled for characters. kbdmux(4) expects low level keyboard driver to
deal with it. ukbd(4) driver does that, atkbd(4) does not.

> When I change the root device to my pen drive it boots to the login
> prompt (user space), and the keyboard works fine at that moment.
>
> Is this problem familiar to anybody? Is there any way to solve it?

1) disable kbdmux(4)

or

2) use ukbd(4) (usb) keyboard

i'm looking into this, but due to limited time i can not provide eta.

thanks,
max