Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 06:27:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      dave adkins <adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
To:        NISHIO Shuichi <nishio@caleche.kecl.ntt.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APIC_IO problem on Tyan S1668

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, NISHIO Shuichi wrote:

> > de0: transmission timeout
>
> and this interface (10BaseT) won't even respond to pings, although
> ifconfig says it's up. The other interface, de1(100BaseT), seemed to
> be working.
>

> (b) system freezes on NFS
>
> I tried using NFS on the alive interface de1 (100BaseTX), but while
> copying files, the system suddenly freezed, and I had to do a hardware
> reset.
>

> What I did is:
> (1) Installed 3.0-970209-SNAP (worked fine)
> (2) cvsup-ed the SMP kernel source
> (3) did "cvs update -Pd -D '02/10/97 00:00:00 GMT"
> (4) applied the recent patch to exception.s
> 	(from <199703281714.KAA25923@Ilsa.StevesCafe.com>)
> (5) compiled the kernel, with options from mptable output
>

> So, my question is:
> (a) Am I missing something in creating the kernel?
> (b) Do I need to recompile everything with the SMP kernel headers?
> At least, dmesg didn't work, with the message
> 	kvm_read: Bad address
>

> Attached below is
> (1) extracts from /var/log/messages, while booting the kernel
>     without APIC_IO (dmesg didn't work)
> (2) difference in messages for kernels with and without APIC_IO
> (3) output of "mptable -verbose -dmesg"
> (4) kernel configuration file I used
>

> My machine contains
> 	Tyan S1668 ATX Motherboard
> 	200MHz Pentium Pro (256K cache) x 2
> 	256MB memory
> 	Adaptec AHA-2940 x1
> 	Adaptec AHA-2940U x1
> 	Adaptec AHA-2940UW x1
> 	DEC Fast EtherWORKS PCI 10/100 x 2
> 	(one connected to 10BaseT Hub, another to 100BaseT Hub)
> 	ISA video card
> 	SCSI HDD x 6
> 	DAT drive x 1
>
> I am not using X-window on this, nor am I using any mouse.
>

> Thank you for any help,
>

> Nishio Shuichi

I had similar problems with the AT version of the board until I upgraded
the de and the aic drivers to current. the de driver in the SNAP has
problems with 21140 cards such as SMC933 that uses an 21140-AC. I
experienced a series of AHA-2940 lockups under heavy load both uni and
multprocessor, running multiprocessor the lockups happened quite a bit
faster than uniprocessor.

It looks like you don't have a 21140AC but the media select might be
better in the newer driver. I do recommend upgrading the aic driver, it
really improved the stability. Check the commits on the aic driver.

dave adkins