Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:51:16 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

I apologize for the cross post. However, although this is a
-question per se, I think its going to need a -hacker's opinion.

I've been trying now for several days (and twice as many blanks)
to be able to copy an audio CD that I originally put together under
windows. The closest I've managed to get was static on the CD. A search
of the mail archives yielded little on the topic, except for a  plea
many months ago before I gave up once on this endeavor. I hope to solve
it this time around.

I have an HP 4020i that I've been using to burn strictly data CDs. So far,
its been working fine.

What I'd like to do now is put together some strictly audio, and some
mixed-mode CDs. Unfortunately, the documentation gets sparse.

What I tried to do was to use cd-write (1.4) to extract the data from
the CD. Usually, it fails during the end of a data disk with a read error.
It seems to be able to do audio tracks... but I'm not sure, as I've never
rewritten one successfully.

I've also tried cdrecord. For some reason, it doesn't like my drive. I haven't
tried wasting blanks on making it work.

The CD tracks I'd like to use come from two sources. The first is an audio
CD that I made under win 3.1 with the software that came with the CD drive.
I basically played several of my MIDI files, and captured them back to WAV,
then used the software to move the WAV files in to a CD format, and
burn them.

I then used a second CD to store all the original MID files, using a ISO
9660 format, a la mkisofs.

Now, given these seperate sources, can anyone tell me how to read them
back on to the harddisk, and then to write them back on to a merged
CD?

Thanks.
	-Brian