Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:00:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ****HELP*****

Hmmmmmm.  A couple of things that confuse me here..  You say you
"upgraded" sendmail 8.9 to 8.7? :)  I can ask around, but I wasn't
aware of anything too pathologically wrong with either version.

Second, I assume you've deleted the account of the person being attacked?

I'm curious how he got ahold of the real password file - are you sure
it wasn't just the shadow passwords?

If you can give us more clues, we can both give you avenues to follow
in securing your system and track down the method(s) the perp is using.

Also, please don't be afraid to employ legal means.  What this hacker
has done is a felony and and should be made an example of to the
fullest extent provided by the law.  Most data crime units in the
various PDs are fairly eager, actually - it's budget time! :-)

Also, the security@freebsd.org list is available for discussing
security issues with other admins throughout the world, many of whom
are pretty good.  I'm sure at least one or two people here will have
some first tips for you to try (security isn't really my bag, to be
honest!).

Anyway, I'd be happy to help you out, but we obviously need more
information about what this guy is actually up to..  Any log info or
anything else you think may be relevant?  Thanks.

					Jordan