Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2018 18:37:24 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        "Matthew Luckie" <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: using security/openssl in a port

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 15:11:00 +1300 "Matthew Luckie" <mjl@luckie=2Eorg=2Enz> said

> Hi,
>=20
> I maintain a port that has a new release which requires openssl 1=2E0=2E2 to
> build=2E  FreeBSD 10=2E3 and 10=2E4 both have openssl 1=2E0=2E1, and 11 onwards
> have 1=2E0=2E2=2E  Is there a magic way to have this port depend on ports
> openssl for freebsd releases without openssl 1=2E0=2E2?  I ran
>=20
> find /usr/ports -exec grep "security/openssl" {} \; -print
>=20
> and didn't find anything that I could use as a recipe=2E  USES =3D ssl
> doesn't seem to be it either=2E
>=20
> Matthew
Hello Matthew,
Have a look at ports/Mk/bsd=2Eport=2Emk
In there you will find some clues for defining rules for building
for specific (bsd)OS versions -- like >=3DXXXXX, or =2Eif OSREL <=3DXXXXXX =2E=2E=
=2E
As well as only permitting build/install when the correct version
of security/openssl is found in the systems ports tree=2E
It's well commented, and should give you some good options to try=2E
It will also give some good clues to search the ports tree for=2E Where
you can simply copy someone else's work verbatim=2E :-)

You might also try the following alternative for searching;
cd /usr/ports
find =2E | xargs <string-to-search-for>

HTH

--Chris