Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:07:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        charlespeters@tecpro.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up pop3 server on a freebsd server with no domain name (

> I would like to check my freebsd mail (on my freebsd server) from my
> win95 box.

No problem.

> How do I set up a pop3 server and smpt server or host (whatever)?

SMTP is done by sendmail.  Visit http://www.sendmail.org/ for details.  It
should be working by default.  Check /etc/rc.conf to check if it runs
sendmail.

POP3 is done by a program called QPopper.  It is avalibale for Qualcomm at
http://www.eudora.com/ under the Freeware section.  It includes
instructions on how to set it up, and you should already have a line in
/etc/inetd.conf for a pop3 server.  Just uncomment it once you've
insatlled QPopper.

> What values do I stick into my mail client on the win95 box (I use
> Pegasus mail for windows)?

Dunno.  I've used M$ a little, but I havn't heard of Pegasus.  Generic
settings:

SMTP: hostname.of.bsd.box
POP3: hostname.of.bsd.box
Username: username on bsd box
Passwd: password on bsd box

> Thanks,
>
> Charles
>

> charlespeters@tecpro.com

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.