Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:24:29 -0500
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        kilim <kilim@phenix.rootshell.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS server on firewall

On Oct 21, 2005, at 8:04 AM, kilim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting a second machine next week and was wondering if the
> following settup would be ok:
>
> 1st machine pf + NAT and also primary DNS
> 2nd machine as a secondary DNS
>
> Now I know that its not the smartest thing to do, have primary DNS on
> the firewall, but I'm thinking since the DNS is going to be chrooted,
> it would be ok, no ?
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Thank you !

You're better off not installing and running a DNS server on your
firewall.  I would recommend you simply turn your new machine into
your primary DNS server and ask/pay someone to host a secondary
server for you.

Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson