Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:39:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        tony@valemount.com
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, andrew@unfortu.net
Subject:   Re: PCI -> PCMCIA Adapter woes - patch

In message: <100401c23290$cf2568d0$114c35d1@tonyxp>
            "Tony Toole" <tony@valemount.com> writes:
: I don't have the docs you mentioned, however from reviewing various other
: pieces of information (such as the Linux PCMCIA implementation), this is
: needed.  What harm would it do to a card that either doesn't support it
: (like the 11xx), or ones that already have it working such as (probably)
: Laptops?  The cards we use are from Elan, however we have several smaller
: SBC units with integrated TI1211 chips that also require this workaround.
: Perhaps a reasonable thing to do is provide a sysctl to enable / disable the
: fix on bootup?

The harm on laptops would be if they are wired in a weird way.  The
harm for TI-113[01] parts would be that they might behave in unknown
or unpreditable ways if we did this.  Sure, we could test it, but we
couldn't be sure.  IIRC, the only way to get the PCI signals is to use
the mutlifunction pins to get them.  I think it would be safest to do
the fixup iff it is 0 to start with AND the user doesn't say not to do
it.

The Linux pcmica code isn't always as careful with these things as it
should be.  There have been a number of occasions where
workarounds/hacks in that code are later revised because they were too
broadly applied in the initial version(s).  So you have to be careful
how you take workarounds from that code base.

I'll try to work up a better fix that I'd be more comfortable with and
post it later.

Warner