Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:54:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "John C. Place" <placej@ctcdist.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP Renew lease problem (FreeBSD 3.2R client, NT server)

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, John C. Place wrote:

> Enter a co-worker that wants to install FreeBSD at the office. So a couple
> hours later (we talked a lot) we had an installed box. Now at the office
> most of the machines are on dynamic IPs and not wanting to take a chance of
> "bumping" into the DHCP server (running on NT) I decided to take a stab at
> using dhclient.

[...]

> So I am at loss what I did/am doing wrong. This will not renew a lease. I can
> slay and restart dhclient to fix this but this seems a little shaddy.

You probably aren't doing anything wrong at all.  The DHCP server in
NT is horribly broken by default.  Unless your NT system administrator
has SP5 (I'm assuming it's an NT 4.0 server) installed, it is broken
in many, many documented places (see the MS website).  Shoot, its
probably still broken even after SP5.

You'd do well to convince whoever is in charge of that thing to take
the DHCP server off the NT box and put it on a FreeBSD box running
ISC's dhcpd.  I use it to serve hundreds and hundreds of Windows 9X
and NT clients (after first trying with NT4 SP3 quite a while back),
and I've never had even the first sign of trouble with it.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."