Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:30:41 +0100
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Jeremy Faulkner <gldisater@gldis.ca>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: report on GEOM

In message <41A35364.6030908@gldis.ca>, Jeremy Faulkner writes:

>http://www.gldis.ca/gldisater/TechnicalReport-GEOM.pdf

first page:
	s/that the read has/that the reader has/

	In general I would refrase everything from "It is also assumed..."
	to not involve the reader at all, but merely state that we use
	the following convention: ...

second page:
              1
	"DEVFS "  - Rather than the footnote approach I would probably
	just mark the glossary entries in some (subtle!) way.

	s/connected to a FreeBSD computer system//  You already said
	that this was FreeBSD.  It doesn't run without the computer.

	"will be different..."  You probably need to give an example.

	"an event queue"  Actually there is an event queue for
	changes to the topology and two I/O queues for pushing data
	up respectively down.

	You should explain that the provider is the service point
	and that a consumer is used to access that service.  You will
	probably want to note that multiple consumers can attach to
	one provider, but not the other way around.

	The provider doesn't "give[s] the associated consumers ...".
	The consumers are not associated but attached, and they
	request the information out of the provider, it's not the
	provider pushing the information on the consumers.  Also,
	you list only the mandatory attributes, there are optional
	attributes handled with the BIO_GETATTR request.

	Loose all exclamation marks.

	"The two geoms..."

	I would loose the rather rambling text from here and instead
	explain what happens when the system boots:  First the diskdriver
	finds a drive and greates an geom_disk instance "ad0" and
	gives it a provider.   The "tasting" happens and the MBR class
	finds MBR paritition metadata and decides to ... etc.

	You probably want to give the stripe-before-mirror vs.
	mirror-before-stripe example (graphically ?) to show why
	free stackability is important.