Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:28:53 +0300
From:      "Miroslav Pendev" <mirobo@mbox.digsys.bg>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   user ppp - how to skip the dial tone waiting?

Thanx Salvo,
Sorry for  poor explanation on my problem ;-)

The dialtone in my country (in old phone lines) is consist of two beeps
one short and one long. Not veeeerry long tone - that is the problem.

If i use Micro$oft Windows (uuurgh!) on order  to connect to ISP  I must
uncheck "Wait for dialtone before dialing" checkbox. Otherwise I will
receive message "No Dialtone check you phone line .. blah blah" - because
of the strange dialtone in my country.

So, I have one FreeBSD 3.4 Release connected to new (almost digital)
phone line with one looong dialtone and everything works fine - ppp, IPFW,
NAT...
I used it from 6-7 months like gateway to my ISP.

The problem is in the other box FreeBSD 4.0 Release connected to old
phone line with the strange dialtone - two beeps - one short and one long.
I have compiled new kernel, and ....., and the modem respond nice.
But if i try to connect with ppp, the modem take up the phone line,
I can hear the dialtone from modem's speaker but then instead of dial
the phone number the modem hangs up and i receive
"NO DILATONE" in ppp.log file.

That's all.

I must "uncheck Wait for dialtone before dialing",
but I don't know how. May be with chap script or may be
with ppp options or may be with AT command, I dont know.

Thanks ... 8;-)

Miroslav Pendev

e-mail: miro@dir.bg