Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:40:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: offtopic: low level format of IDE drive.

It seems Julian Elischer wrote:
> One of my FreeBSD development boxes had a hernia last week when it lost
> power while writing to disk. The drive wrote out garbage to a track.
>
> I want to reformat the drive, (low level) but the bios doesn't have any
> support to do this (In the past That is how I did this).
> The machiine has 1 CD drive and no floppy..
>
> anyone with any ideas as to how one can reformat a hard drive feel free to
> lend me a clue..

On modern disks you generally cannot do a lowlevel format (like in the
old MFM & RLL days) although many disks will accept the command but
will do absolutly nothing, well some will do a rescan for bad blocks..

Now if you want to get rid of "bad sectors" you should simply do a
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/adX bs=1m and the disks *should* rewrite
the sectors and remap them if they are really bad...

-Søren