Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:23:09 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Bad free() ignored (PERL_CORE)" in XML::LibXSLT

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:02:26AM -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> (I'm sending this to both freebsd-perl and freebsd-gnome, in case
> the problem is related to the libxslt library; I apologize if this
> is incorrect or bad manners, and would welcome any suggestion for
> where I should send it instead.)
>
> I'm running the Perl module XML::LibXSLT, which is a Perl
> binding to the Gnome libsxlt library. This consistently
> generates a "Bad free() ignored (PERL_CORE)" error.
>
> I see that this has been reported once before on FreeBSD:
>
> http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=5928
>
> but nothing seems to have been done about it since 2004. (This
> has a short test script demonstrating the error; it works
> (i.e. generates the error) for me.) I'm getting this using the
> newest versions of everything from Ports, and on systems
> running FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.0.
>
> I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to solve this, whether
> I should worry about it at all, or where I should report this.

Without doing any investigation:

This is usually indicative of a library that allocates memory using system
malloc and then passes the pointer to Perl XS code which subsequently tries
to free it - when Perl is compiled with its own version of malloc, which has
been the default for quite some time in FreeBSD.

So it appears to be a bug in XML::LibXSLT XS part, which ideally should be
found and corrected.

\Anton.
--
An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.
-- Robert A. Humphrey