Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 01:57:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        jkb@best.com (Jan B. Koum)
Cc:        clash@tasam.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Stability not good anymore

> 	Uhm.. it is somewhat your fault if you let your users to use as
> much memory as they want. :) They are users and don't know any better
> (nice? what nice?).
>
> 	I'd suggest limiting memory and cpu to your users via login class
> features (look at /etc/login.conf). Thanks,

This should probably be moved to freebsd-isp if we go any further here... :)

No, we don't let them run free.... Most users are limited to one background
process (must stay under 2MB) or some software we have goes through and
kills it.

I don't mind them (temporarily) eating up ram, but nothing for more than
10-15 mins.

We're using login.conf to limit CPU usage already. (eggdrop seems to have a
bug where it'll go nuts and sit in a loop.... the cpu limit kills them
rather easily).

Kevin