Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 11:15:08 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Jake <jake@checker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some ccd questions

Jake wrote:

> Hi,
> soon as I have the money I want to add a second hard drive
> to my system, identical to the one I have now ( wd caviar AC22500 )
> I'd like to configure part of it using the ccd driver,
> namely my swap and /usr partitions.

Swap reportedly has problems when running off a CCD :-(

> Maybe I'll be able to capture video from my bt848 without the system being
> completely bogged down by disk access.

If they are all IDE drives (which it looks like they are), and you don't
have any bus-mastering DMA (which you can only get in 3.0-CURRENT) I would
suggest you don't use CCD...

The amount of CPU time needed to run IDE drives is quite a lot, to run two
drives at the same time - is going to be twice as bad...

Considering your goals of putting swap on them as well, and only using them
for parts of the disk I'd say your probably better off just mounting the
extra drive somewhere...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz