Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 15:36:31 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jan_Guldemond <jg@euronet.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Postgres (or any other RDMBS)

In message <199503301311.PAA05205@mail.euronet.nl>, Jan_Guldemond writes:
>What I really want is to get the WWW get the data online (via CGI-scripts).
>To get this to work I have to get a database-engine that runs under FreeBSD
>or Windows. But I must be able to update and retrieve data from the FreeBSD
>machines AND the Windows-machines. So I'm really looking for a
>database-engine on one of the two platforms with SQL clients on both platforms
>Any suggestions???

Well, I've used MS Access (I was a database programmer for a while), but
always using native DB's, never used the SQL option EVER. However, if you
load the SQL access kit that comes with Access (ODBC?), it should allow you
to access the database on a FreeBSD box (assuming they can agree on the SQL
syntax :-( )

The problem than is that you have to re-write your DB in Postgres. After
using Access for a long time I realise that will not be a nice task :-(

Has anyone ever used Samba (or similar) to access the Microsoft SQL server
system running on a PC from FreeBSD? That (in theory) should be possible
also... although it might take a bit of work re-writing or adding bits onto
Samba.

Gary