Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 16:33:50 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@windborne.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tapedrive Timeout

 I have:

 ast0: TAPE <Seagate STT20000A> at ata1-slave using PIO4

 on a 4.5-RELEASE box. I am using amanda to back-up my data..
 sucessfully.. but I have a problem.

 One of my 'files' on the tapedrive is long. So long in fact.. that
 when amanda says 'seek to the next file' past this file.... and the
 kernel waits around for the seek to complete, the kernel timesout in
 the middle of the seek. SO I have good data.. just no good way to get
 to it.

 I have researched the mailing lists.. and there was a bug report
 round about FreeBSD-4.0 on this .. but it was closed and sent to sos.
 Never saw where it was solved. The problem apparently still exists.
 Anyone have any suggestions for solving this? .. I need to restore ;-)

  - branson