Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 2020 17:21:30 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        imp@bsdimp.com
Subject:   Re: update UPDATING after malloc code change

On Sat, 7 Nov 2020 19:24:02 -0700
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 5:43 PM Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 00:22:26 +0100
> > Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net> wrote:

> > change made
> > been

> > > Why? Rebuilding kmods every time you update the kernel sources is
> > > already required by default.
> >
> > IIRC, there's no official documentation for it.
> >

> There is a warning to disable to old modules, which is close...
>

> > Adding new NOTE for it into UPDATING (before the first dated entry)
> > would be a good idea, as someone encounterd problem would read it
> > to confirm any cautions.
> >

> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=367474 has my take
> on that. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for taking this, Warner.

IMHO, persons reading UPDATING "after" causing boot issue would be
in panic, and if they use pagers like more, less, or lv and cannot find
helpful info at the top end of UPDATING, they would give up.

So adding something like "All kernel modules are needed to be rebuilt
when you update kernel. See note [1] in COMMON ITEMS section near
the end of this file for details." as a top-side NOTE would be helpful.

For [1] you updated at r367475, it would be better noting in what file
to add PORTS_MODULES entry (/etc/src.conf, normally).

Regards.