Date:      Sat, 09 Aug 1997 13:50:19 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   [3d] had a chance to play glquake on win95

All I can say is that glquake with a Voodoo based card is awesome.
Couldn't get the sound to work with glquake and win95 . I am sure if
I try hard enough there will probably find a little secret. Satisfied
with the video quality of the game re-booted back again to FreeBSD ,
got back my sound and played xf86quake --- thats the X version which
access the frame buffer directly not bad at 640x480 8)

So in summary, when we do get glquake support it is going to be
fantastic.

On a related note, if anyone knows of a cool opengl program please
let us know. At the sgi ftp site, I found their version of glquake
it requires some work to port to Mesa/Glide (Glide is 3DFX's
api to their 3d chipset it is supposed to be close to gl).
ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/GLQuakeV0_3src.tar.Z

The original pointer where I found about SGI's GLQuake is:
http://reality.sgi.com/hutchins_asd/
It has a  pointer to a GLQuake executable.

I think that GLQuake is  supposed to be a quake clone for the sgi boxes so if
someone with an SGI box can compile it and let us know how it is
it can be interesting because maybe we can use GLQuake as the
basis for cool 3D apps.

The win95 glquake and the soon to be released linux glquake
are not the same as SGI's GLQuake.

	Cheers,
	Amancio