Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:34:52 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bmake/contrib framework for egcs

> How's this going?

Everything now builds, and I can pass the C++ STL tests supplied with
EGCS.

There is at least one case w/in gnu/usr.bin/cc that ``make cleandir &&
make cleandir && make obj && make depend && make && make clean && make''
will file to build.  But I haven't worried too much about that yet.

The biggest problem is that ``cpp'' will get a sig11 when executed by
c++.  If I use ``c++ -v'' and manually execute what c++ is, I don't get
the sig11.  I got tired of trying to track this down, so to get around
this (so I could work on libstdc++), I copy ``cpp'' into /usr/libexec
from a copy of an installed EGCS port.

The version in my repository is EGCS 1.1.2-pre3.  Rumors have it that
1.1.2 will released on Friday, and by Monday at the latest.

> What's the preferred method for tracking your egcs work, given one

On a test box, one should CVSup using:

    *default host=relay.nuxi.com
    *default base=.
    *default release=cvs
    *default delete use-rel-suffix
    egcs

I create a directory separate from our repository to sup into.
Then checkout (``cvs -d <foobar> co src/gnu src/contrib/egcs'') into a
directory separate from /usr/src.

I've been compiling things w/in /usr/src/ , but haven't done a ``make
world'' with EGCS in-place in /usr/src due to the `cpp w/c++'' problem.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)