Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:36:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 4100 boot/install problem

> >  >     ok  load /kernel
> >  >     don't know how to load module '/kernel.ko'
> >  >
> >  > This smells an awful lot like too much got MFC'ed.
> >
> > Are we talking just cdboot?  Or loader in general?
> >
> > As one datapoint, I built/installed a world cvsup'ed
> > at 9:53am EDT today, and am seeing no problems with /boot/loader
> >
> > Perhaps one of the many forth files that doesn't get installed every
> > time is to blame.
>
> Did you boot from CD?

Did anyone read my bloody reply to Terry on this topic?

The problem here is that what the loader is reading out of the file is
wrong.  The ELF code in the loader is rejecting the read data.  Wilko has
confirmed that the CD itself is fine.

Huston, we have a loader filesystem problem...

Please, try using 'more' in the loader to read a large (>8k) text
document from somewhere; one of the loader's 4th files would do it.  Make
sure it looks right.