Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:37:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.3 install on Alphastation 4/233

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:21:56PM -0400, Jameel Akari wrote:
> >      Bus 00  Slot 12: Digital ZLXp Graphics Controller
>
> This may be a TGA card.  At the moment we do not have a device driver for
> it.  So serial console will be your only choice unless you replace it

	Yes, that is a good ol' 21030-AA TGA card.  I've swapped it for an
ATI mach64 (which thankfully had a DEC-issue ROM on it) and all is well.
I'm installing now.  (console=graphics when I tried the first time, that
wasn't the problem.)

	I guess when I had it up in serial console, sending the break to
reset the port probably selected the low-function ASCII mode for me.
That, and Minicom's emulation is somewhat lacking.  I should drag out the
real VT100, the silly thing still works the best.

> with a more standard [cheap] video card.  I have a TGA driver that has
> been submitted, but I am waiting feedback from the author before I can do
> the import (maybe in time for FreeBSD 4.4).

	Then I'll look forward to trying it on my UDB someday. ;)

Thanks!

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f $zig; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1