Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 10:20:01 -0800
From:      Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP-current hang problems.

Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> writes:

> we have decided to more or less freeze development till we figure out
> the "system hang" problem with the latest code.  If you have one
> of the systems that hangs anywhere in the area of:
>
> SMP: Idle procs online, starting an AP!
> SMP: AP CPU #1 LAUNCHED!!  Starting Scheduling...
> SMP: TADA! CPU #1 made it into the scheduler!.
> SMP: All 2 CPU's are online!

Well, I wanted to try an unmunged syscons, so I took the existing
SMP source tree and tried it with and without APIC_IO.  (My test box is
a 4-CPU Pentium Pro with PCI SCSI and EISA network cards)

Without APIC_IO, I got messages like the above for all 3 of the other CPUs
in my box.  Pretty cool!  Syscons was screwed up here, so I don't think
it is just an "APIC_IO" problem.  I could bang on the keyboard for a long
time and it kept going.

With APIC_IO, I got one message like the above for "CPU #3", but after
the "Starting Scheduling..." part, it said "SMP: freezing CPU #3", then
no more SMP CPU booting messages.  Syscons was screwed up here in
apparently the exact same fashion.  If I banged on the keyboard too much,
it would lock up.

I think I'm more interested in fixing syscons than regressing it and
a bunch of other files, perhaps with unpredictable results.

More later.  (is there anything specific I should try?)

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)