Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 17:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: JFS

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Dave Uhring wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> >Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net> writes:
> >
> >>I just took a look at www.sistina.com and a web site which has its font
> >>set to Arial is suspect, IMHO.  If they have to use Microsoft products
> >>to produce a web site......
> >>

> >Is that the best you could come up with?  I mean, you could criticize
> >the ingenuity of their designs, or the quality of their code, or their
> >ability to deliver on their promises - or would that require too much
> >effort?  It's so much easier to just dismiss them out of hand because
> >they use a font you don't like on their web page, isn't it?
> >
> >DES
> >
> No, indeed it is not the best that I could come up with.  Any company
> producing a product for Linux/Unix which feels that it has to use a
> Microsoft product for its web site is one which cannot eat its own
> dogfood.  If they have any "ingenuity" or "quality" of any kind one
> would think that they would use it themselves.  And it is not a matter
> of a font which I don't like; actually I do like the Arial font, but it
> is NOT a Unix font.

So, the coders use Linux/Unix while the web guys use Macs and Windoze.
They probably don't talk to each other much either.  Hell, the web guys
may even be outsourced.  That isn't much of a surprise to me at all.  And
the reality of the situation is that as a business you generally hire
people to do the job and give them the tools that they need.  Hopefully
you don't inflict tools on them which they don't want.  And unfortunately
reality is that most people who design web sites are much more comfortable
doing so on microsoft or apple products.  I've worked in places where open
source religious zealots tried to shove linux down the throats of web
designers and other people who weren't comfortable with it.  Its no
different than CTOs and IT managers decreeing that the workplace shall be
all NT because nobody got fired for buying microsoft.

If you want to get all offended that less technical people in an
organization are using non-free/non-unix products, then I strongly suggest
that you start working on Gnome or KDE or desktop applications to make it
so that less technically skilled people can sit down in front of a Linux
or FreeBSD computer and get work done without having to fight with the UI
at all.  I can tell you from recent experience (setting up a desktop
freebsd install for our director of software engineering a week or two
ago) that right now that Linux/FreeBSD/Gnome/KDE/etc simply fails at this.

Welcome to reality.